The Aleppo Codex

The Aleppo Codex is the oldest existing manuscript of the Hebrew Bible, written in 920 AD in Israel. It is known as the actual bible that Maimonides utilized in creating his most famous work – The Mishne Torah which he completed on the year 1180 in Egypt. Subsequently, his descendants transferred the Codex to Aleppo, Syria where it remained until 1948, when it was smuggled out of Syria in a washing machine. Today it is displayed at the Shrine of the Books at the Israel Museum.